Tuesday 27 November 2012

Getting better!


I can now run nine miles, - yes nine miles how cool is that?
When I last wrote, I was concerned about eight miles but I managed it.  Now I have mastered nine miles - roll on ten!
 There's something very satisfying when you complete a long run and increase your mileage every week.  I am actually really looking forward to reaching double digits and being able to say I can run 10 miles. For some reason that is a marker in my head. It means I am finally getting there!

Of course the long runs are tough the last few miles of that nine mile run was hard. I could feel my muscles burning, but thanks to good support from the group I got there.
It really is a mind over matter you have to just try and keep going, and not think too much about it.
The feel good factor is worth it in the end! I keep telling myself that anyway- although whether I will be that positive when I reach 18 miles, I don't know.  I just keeping telling myself it will be over soon and I will have mastered that distance. I think the trick is not to think about it too much and focus on something else, like making it to the next pole or the next marker, and from there to the next one.
The marathon is only 16 weeks away now that is how close it is - only another 16 weeks and I will have ran my first marathon. Scary or what?!

I have also conquered the dreaded Barrow Hill, well almost anyway.
I had heard about it from many people over the last few weeks but this was my first time facing it and yes, it is high and tough, but I nearly managed to run all the way up - quite proud of myself really and next time I will.
And the best  part is when you actually do run up it, you have the come back down now that is joy!

I am still complaining about getting up at 7am for long runs. It's still too early, but apparently you must train as if it is marathon day itself which is why we must get up at the terrible hour of 7am to eat breakfast in time for our 9am marathon. I really hope this is worth it!

On the plus side, Saturday night is all about treating yourself - you deserve it after that long run. 
This is definitely the bonus. As is the case for all women, the loss of a few pounds is always a good thing but you can have that pizza or chocolate,  after all you have already burned off the calories. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway.

I really have incorporated running into my life. I have a family wedding this Saturday and I plan to fit in my long run on Friday so as not to miss it.
God I have changed I am now arranging running around my social life! But I do plan to drink this weekend though there has to be some good things in life!

Roll on 10 miles here I come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment