Thursday 6 December 2012

I've got the running habit!


I have officially reached double digits: I can run 10 miles - yes, 10 whole miles! I was on such a high when I broke that barrier on Friday you would think I had run the marathon itself - but there really is something really great about reaching that milestone. 
Sure it was tough, but honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I expected at all.  I struggled for the last two miles a bit but overall, I ran it without too much difficulty. 
When I started training six weeks ago, I really could not have imagined reaching 10 miles - but now it’s on to 11 miles this week. 
And in just a few weeks time I will have a half marathon completed.
There was a few moments when I kind of thought to myself, “Oh my God, I’m never going to make it”. But then you get another burst of energy and you get another bit done. 
I did my 10 miles on my own, so I did get a bit bored too. I think that actually might be the worst thing about distance running - after a while you get sick of listening to music and thinking. So now I see the benefits of running with the group.
I actually had a wedding at the weekend and I planned all my running schedules around it, which is quite impressive for me; complete dedication. 
Let’s hope I keep it up for Christmas. I have even started planning to make sure I keep my training schedule during the holidays and still manage some sort of a social life!
Running has actually become part of my life. They say it only takes six weeks to create a habit so maybe now I have a running habit. 
I’ve got into the routine of running Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings, Thursday mornings and on Saturdays.
And since I began, I’ve only missed one session. That was this week, as I had a pretty hectic schedule. 
But aside from that, I’m eating healthy and I am obviously fitter. So it’s so far, so good. 
I actually quite looking forward to increasing my mileage every week, although 26 miles does still seem very far away. But it doesn’t look quite as daunting as it did back at the beginning.  
The big day is getting closer now, and while there are some days where you feel like going ‘I don’t want to train again’, most of the time I just put on my runners and go. 
I remember reading about other people doing that and thinking how impossible it must be. 
But actually, once you have a schedule and keep to it, it becomes part of your life. This weekend, I’m ready for 11 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment