Thursday 15 November 2012

So it begins!

Its official! I have signed up to run the Kerry's Eye Tralee International Marathon on March 16th - which is only 19 weeks away. Yes, just 19 weeks to get myself fit and ready to run the 26.2 mile route. According to the plan I am going to run from  Tralee to Ardfert, out to Fenit via Barrow Golf Club and back into Tralee town for those of  you that know Kerry and for those that don't then all you need to know is its long!

I must be stark raving mad - actually they are the only words I can use. Driving the route is long enough, not to mind running it, but I have committed myself now, and l have begun training.

I will admit I have done a little bit of running before, so  I  am not entirely new to the sport,  but the longest I have ever run to date is 10km which is only 6.2 miles. So the full marathon is only 20 more miles - that's all, just 20 doesn't seem that bad.

Every time I think about it, though, I begin to panic - how am I going to run that distance? It will take me all day. But I'm told training and perseverance will get me there.

Well, we'll see just how true that it.

However, I do have a team behind me in Marcus Howlett, race director for the event, and his Born to Run Club, which has 100 members training for this event so I am not the only foolish person in Tralee - there are 99 others all preparing for their first-ever marathon too.

In my first week of training I completed 19 miles. I'm pretty impressed with myself to be honest. The plan is to run four evenings a week and a long run at the weekend. 

I ran three miles my first night of training, increased that to four the next day and on my third day forced myself out of bed to run in the morning before work as I couldn't meet with the group that night - impressive commitment if I say so myself but the burning question is: Will I keep this commitment?

I did a long run on Friday as I had a hen party at the weekend  completing 6 miles and this is going to increase every single week from now on which means by Christmas I will be able to run 13 miles - I just can't imagine it!

I also got up on Saturday morning to do three miles before a weekend of partying - I think I deserve a medal now!

I have to confession to make here, I am a bit of  social butterfly I like to go out a lot!! I go out at least one night during the week and every weekend so the next few months will be interesting to see if I can combine both. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment