Monday 6 January 2014

Panicking big time!


Last year was was definitely not my year for training. As if the weather wasn’t enough to prevent me from running during Christmas, a chest infection and cold definitely put paid to my training for the past week or so. 
I’ve now missed a 10-mile and 13-mile run, and I’m absolutely gutted. I was so looking forward to reaching the half-way mark before Christmas, but the rain and wind prevented us all from completing the scheduled run - and I’ve been too sick since then to fit in much training. 
I did attempt a three mile run but I ended up coughing so much I couldn’t breathe. I thought I’d lost a lung. 
I managed six miles on St Stephen’s Day but got caught in the rain, which definitely didn’t help my chest. Since then I have been staying indoors for fear of getting worse. 
I read the training schedule this morning and nearly had a panic attack. There’s only really five more long runs left before the big day! Yes, it’s definitely time to panic. 
Next week its 14, then a 16 miler, 18 miler, 19 miles and 21 miles - that’s all that’s left. 
I better stop thinking about it or I’ll have a nervous breakdown. I had great plans for doing a faster marathon this year - that might not be the case now; at this rate of going I will hardly make it over the line at all.
On the other hand, maybe the rest will have done me the world of good and I will be faster than ever! 
I’ve been reading the Facebook updates all Christmas and the lovely runs that everyone in Born to Run has been doing, and I’m jealous - particularly of all those who last weekend reached that 13 mile mark. It’s the half way point and if you can do that at this point, you can definitely do the marathon - so no self-doubts please.
The weather has really not been kind to runners in recent weeks but getting out there shows the dedication of anyone training for the Kerry’s Eye Tralee International Marathon, and they should be so proud. 
It is a great achievement and with only five longs run to do there is no excuse not to keep going and make 2014 the year you do your first marathon or the year that you do a PB. 
Yes, I have all the running lingo now - who would have thought that within a year my life would be all about running. 
There’s another change - most of the gifts under the Christmas tree this year were running related, including a mini iPod which I plan to use to get me through the last six miles of the marathon. I figure it might be better than crying this time around. 
I also got a triathlon and marathon refuelling kit - so I’m all set with energy gels and recovery shakes for the rest of the year.
Let’s hope they get me through the marathon, and also help me in my New Year’s resolution - which is a triathlon. 
I also have new running clothes to. Now I just have to get back to training.
Hopefully after this bout of illness I’ll be raring to go this week and I might even manage 14 miles at the weekend. 
I’m not sure if you should increase from 10 miles to 14 but hopefully I have it in my legs from last year and I will be able to complete it. I’ll have to give it a go anyway and see how I get on. 
It’s scary how fast we seem to be increasing. I don’t remember it going so fast last time around but the weeks are flying by. 
I can’t wait now for the next long runs to get back out on the marathon course and get ready for St Patrick’s weekend. 


1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog and it inspired me to write one as well. I enjoyed reading about your first marathon. Thanks

    ReplyDelete