Tuesday 17 December 2013

Running is my life

If you’re a runner, Christmas is cancelled - there’ll be no rest for us during the holidays. Instead, the season of goodwill is the season of more miles. 
And really, we can’t afford to put the feet up. The time is going by so fast and it won’t be long before the big day on March 17th. 
I’m trying very hard not to panic here, but someone put up on Facebook last week that it’s only 100-and-something days to the marathon. I nearly had a nervous breakdown. 
It feels like we only started training recently but we’re in week nine already, and at eleven miles. And it’s fantastic to be nearly halfway there. I did this week’s run alone and only did ten miles, after somehow picking the highest route I could find, at home in Kilgarvan. 
For those who know it, I ran to Morleys Bridge up to my house, which is seriously high. It’s towards the highest pub in Ireland, which says it all really.
I missed the company of my fellow runners when times got tough, but it’s a long one done and dusted - although I’m feeling a bit stiff two days later. Not sure if that’s a good sign or a bad one. 
My pelvic and hip injury is still flaring up, which is really not helpful to my training and although it eases out when I run, I know its probably not going to get better if I don’t rest.
But I can’t rest - because I’d miss running too much, and it’s too close to the big day. 
However, I’ve become very good at doing my stretches and strengthening exercises, which is one good thing I’ve learned this time around. So hopefully I won’t have to take time out. 
I am really enjoying the shorter runs and I’m definitely improving my speed a bit - not much now, but I can see an improvement, which really pushes you on. 
I love the routine of running and meeting at the Aquadome every evening after work for a chat and a run. It doesn’t even feel like you’re going training, just going to meet friends after work. 
Many of my friends who don’t run just don’t understand why I hate missing a run, but it’s seriously addictive once you start. 
It’s not only about the running but about meeting people and reaching your goal. Like maybe doing the three miles faster or running up Ballyard without feeling like dying. 
I wasn’t even sure after last year’s marathon that I would ever want to do one again, but I actually can’t wait to increase the mileage after Christmas to the really long ones - 16, 18, 20 miles. Madness I know, but there’s a great sense of achievement on the long runs. 
It’s hard to get all the training done and the run up to Christmas is the hardest. This weekend I have two Christmas parties which is going to really affect my long run - sorry Marcus, I know I shouldn’t miss one, but this might be a slight exception. God, I feel guilty and I haven’t even missed it yet! 
But then, running becomes such a part of your routine that if I you don’t do it you just feel bad, so it’s nearly easier to do it than to live with the guilt. 
It’s a bit like having that extra chocolate when you know you shouldn’t, but you do anyway and feel bad afterwards. I can’t miss a long run without feeling like that. 
I suppose that’s a good thing. Maybe it means I really am a runner.  

1 comment:

  1. Just because its Christmas doesn't mean you should give up running so remember to put in those miles over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete