Friday 1 February 2013

I'm a real runner!


I’m a real runner now. I think I can say that now. I can actually call myself a runner, having managed to complete 14 miles and having run every single week since last November. I am officially giving myself the title. 
I was dreading the 14-mile run, but I made it through and I learned that every run is different and you can’t dwell on the bad ones. 
The previous 12-mile run was awful. I thought I’d never make it, so I worried that 14 miles would be impossible. 
But I was in flying form, and made it up those hills from Fenit to the Oyster Tavern better than I expected. 
Now that’s not to say it was easy - but it wasn’t as difficult, or as bad as I feared. 
I must admit though that I decided it’s time to refuel on long runs, and being armed with a protein bar and energy gel was a help. You need that extra energy on long runs, so stock up!  
But they are terrible - they really don’t taste good and they are far too sweet. Nevertheless by mile 10, I’m hungry and have to eat hence the protein bar, and yes, you can run and eat. 
Last weekend was a rest week so only 10 miles, and I did those on my own on Saturday morning. I got absolutely drenched from head to foot, so please pray it doesn’t rain on the big day as that really won’t make help my marathon. 
I was so wet on Saturday I could hardly lift my feet but 10 miles did not feel bad.  
The snow hindered training last week and I was forced to go to the gym and use the treadmill one evening. 
I won’t be doing that again. I nearly fell off it because I don’t know how to run on it and it feels so unnatural. I’m definitely only going to run outside - sorry to those who do train indoors, but it’s so much better on the road.
I’m now gearing up for 15 miles this Saturday. I’m like a new person, although if I could lose a few pounds to complement it, that’d be nice. 
I’m telling myself muscle weighs more than fat, which is the reason I’m not dropping the pounds. Or maybe it’s that I eat whatever I want because I’m running but on the plus side I am definitely fitter anyway.  
The next couple of weeks are going to be tough as we go from 15 to 16, 18 and 20 miles.  
But first let’s get the 15 done. 
Let’s hope that it is as good as my 14 miles but I kind of fear I may be in trouble. I am injured - and this is no ordinary sports injury. This time around its my foot, or rather my toe - I’ve lost a toenail and the pain is excruciating. 
It’s making it very difficult to run and is not very helpful. It is the last thing I need at this stage, so hopefully it will get easier to run with it in a few days. 
Other runners have told me this is quite common, so I guess I will have to live with it but it’s not a nice side effect. I’m hoping I don’t lose any more as apparently this could happen too. 
So here’s what I’ll have on my 15-miler: a bandage, a toe cover, disinfectant and painkillers, as well as protein bars and an energy gel. It’s going to be fun. 
I’ll turn people off running with all that, but seriously running is great. There is such a sense of achievement when you complete a run no matter what the distance. 
That’s what keeps me and all runners going and it is why you do make sure you put your run first, no matter what else is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment