Friday 22 February 2013

I conquered 18 miles!

Eighteen miles conquered. I actually ran 18 miles on Saturday. It was extremely tough going, but I did it - and I felt on top of the world afterwards. 
It really is the best feeling when you actually manage to undertake such a momentous task. 
Yes, I was wrecked. I could barely walk to the car, and all I wanted to do was lie down as every muscle ached. 
But behind it all there was such a sense of achievement - all those evenings putting in the miles paid off. 
Each and every run is part of a learning curve. I learned this week that marathon running is not just about the running and fitness, but about thinking positive. 
If you start thinking you can’t do it, you won’t - that really is the truth. I’m beginning to sound like a self-help book. But honestly you have to make yourself believe to get over the hurdle. 
I started flagging around mile 14 or so, but once some-one distracted me, I forgot  I was failing, and I finished the 18 miles - and possibly could have managed one or two more. 
It was by no means easy, but it goes to show that you can overcome the tiredness. And God, was I tired! Everything ached - I honestly don’t know how my legs kept going. 
Someone asked me during the last few miles if I’m still considering doing a triathlon, and I swore I there wasn’t a hope. In fact, at that stage I was considering never running again.
But I’ve already forgotten those tough few miles. And I’m kind of secretly looking forward to running 21 miles next week - there is a sense of dread and excitement mingled together. 
I mean I am really going to be running 21 miles how mental is that! Last November when I started this lark I didn't think that I would get to 13 miles, not to mind 18, and this week 21. 
Last Saturday, all I could manage after the run was to get back into bed after my chocolate and coffee, followed by more chocolate. I’m allowed all this because I burned off loads of calories - there has to be some justice to it all. 
But fair play to anyone running a marathon who has children, I honestly don’t know how you all go home and actually have to worry about someone else. I, on the other hand, could barely look after myself.  
Even two days later I’m fairly wrecked. I must admit I am kind of looking forward to tapering down in the run-up to the marathon, as I really am tired. 
We’ve been training intensively for 20 weeks and it does get to you, so a few less miles in the run-up to the big day will be a treat. 
Thankfully, although I’m a bit stiff I have no major injuries although unfortunately I do have a blister from chaffing from my sports bra. It’s pretty painful, but all part of the fun, I’m told. 
Broken toenails, blisters, stiffness and exhaustion -all the joys of being a marathon runner but despite all that the sheer elation at managing to achieve the mileage is really worth it all.
I know those that are not running think that we’re mad, but everyone in the ‘Born to Run’ club knows what I am talking about. 
Even saying 21 miles sounds mad - but we can do it. That’s the best thing about running: it gives you confidence to do anything. I know - back to the self-help mantras, but it does. 
Because if you can get over that 10 mile mark, 12 mile mark, 14 mile mark and so on, then you can do anything. 
And for all of those laughing at my triathlon ambitions I’m not ruling anything out. In fact I got offered entries to a Toughathlon and a Duathlon this week, so who knows what’s next? Or maybe I should stick with another marathon. 
On another note I have also decided to raise money for the Kerry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre and Build4life. 
If I’m doing this marathon I think I had better help local organisations and I chose those two for personal reasons. I would appreciate any sponsorship at all and I can be contacted via Facebook or on my email or her on my blog. 
And now to eat lots of pasta and chicken in preparation for the 21 miles this weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment