Monday 11 March 2013

The end is in sight



I’m getting kind of nervous now as the big day comes close. I can’t believe it’s finally here. I’ve lived and breathed the marathon since last November, so it is very strange that it is coming to an end. 
My whole life has been about the marathon and in one way I’m glad the finishing line is in sight, as I am tired from it all. But at the same time, I’m very sad it’s come to an end. 
I honestly think I have the post-marathon blues even before it’s over! 
I didn’t ever think I’d be saying that when I started last November. I’m not even sure that I thought I would be here, and certainly not as dedicated to training. I’ve rarely missed one, and even fitted in a run when I couldn’t meet the group. 
It will, of course, be nice to be able to go out for a night when I want to, but truthfully I’m not all that excited. 
I have to admit that I have loved training and I’m really delighted to be running my first ever marathon. I still have trouble believing I am going to run 26.2 miles but apparently I am. 
I really am advocating taking up running - even if it is just shorter distances. It is great for getting fit, you can eat what you want when you’re training, and most importantly, there is great sense of achievement. 
Everyone I meet says that they can’t do a marathon - but if I can do it, then anybody can: all you have to do is train. 
One of my final long runs was 12 miles and to truthfully it seemed quite short - a far cry from the first 12 miles I did, according to my diary. I can still remember struggling my way through and wondering if I’d ever do it. 
I actually did this twelve on the same route as my first one at Christmas, and the difference was unreal.
In the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that I’m much fitter. I would have struggled more previously but I feel faster and stronger now. Actually I have noticed my thighs and legs are indeed muscular. I’m still trying to decide if that is good or bad but it’s probably a sign of fitness at least! 
This week is only three four milers and one five miles, and my very last long run of eight miles on Saturday. 
No more getting up at 6am! This is at the reasonable time of 9am  but in fact I think I will miss the routine of my early morning run. 
I didn’t think I’d ever say that. I still remember getting up at 8am one morning in the beginning for a run and nearly dying of shock. Before this, I never got out of bed on Saturday before 10 or 11am, but I’ve been getting up at 6am pretty much since Christmas to go training. 
God, my life has changed.  
With the countdown officially now I am trying to follow all the rules - eat lots of carbohydrates, drink plenty of water and rest - to be ready for March 16th. 
And I keep dreaming I’m going to get lost on the marathon route. I’ve already had this dream at least three times in the past week. 
I actually dreamt that I was running along doing well, when someone came up to me and asked what I was doing. 
When I said the marathon they told I should have turned the other way and I was miles from the finish line. 
I hope it’s just a dream and that I don’t get lost. To be fair, my sense of direction is pretty poor, so this dream has merit! 
Well there are only days to go now, so I must do it nerves and all, but hopefully training will stand to me and I will cross that finish line on March 16th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment